Featured Banner Image

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Roberto Lugo Lecture


When: Thurs, March 1st - 5:30pm

Where: Greater Denton Arts Council
400 E Hickory St
Denton, TX

Free and open to the public

More Info: https://art.unt.edu/roberto-lugo

Roberto's Bio:
I am a potter, social activist, spoken word poet, and educator. All of these roles are rooted in my childhood. Having had no formal music or art training, I often practiced table drumming and writing hip-hop lyrics as it was customary to "battle rap" during lunch Instead of art class, I drew in my composition book and marked every wall that I could. "Graffiti" was a way to get my name into the community, to attain a local fame.

Today my graffiti is defacing social inequality. I teach communities to make mosaic murals to honor victims of gun violence. I see my pottery as a process of transforming the ground we walk on into something we eat from; we search all day for the perfect spot to put it on display. In many ways, this transformation of tragedy into triumph is a metaphor for my life's story.

My experiences as an indigent minority inform my version of Puerto Rican American history. With my education in critical theory, art education, art history, and studio art I have developed a studio practice that fluidly communicates with diverse audiences. I bring art to those that do not believe they need to see it and engage in deeper ways of knowing, learning and thinking.