Featured Banner Image

Monday, May 7, 2012

Linda Santana's Graduate research in Mexico City (Week 2)


Piedra Del Sol

Mexico City, Week 2 (April 11th to April 16th)
I’m impressed with the ease of using Mexico City’s public transportation and subway system.  It is efficient and extensive for 3 pesos (about 22 cents).   At the beginning of the week I visited two of the places I’ve anticipated the most: the National Anthropology Museum and the Basilica of Guadalupe that house two of the most important icons of Mexican national identity.  The Piedra del Sol (also known as the Aztec Calendar) on display in the Museum of Anthropology is incredible, I literally got goose bumps when I saw it and it is much larger than I anticipated.  Visiting the new and old Basilicas of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe was also an unforgettable experience, especially seeing the 481-year-old image of the Virgin on the tilma.


At the beginning of the week I took a bus to the pyramids of Teotihuacan and climbedto the summit of the Pyramid of the Sun where the entire valley of Mexico was visible.  I then went to see the remarkable murals in the Palacio de Bellas Artes by the muralists Diego Rivera, Jose Clemente Orozco and David Alfaro Siqueiros.  Also, the Antiguo Colegio de San Idelfonso boasts murals by Orozco, Rivera and Fernando Leal.

The city has so much to offer in terms of museums, culture, food and history; the number of sites to see and things to do is seemingly endless.  This week I visited: Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Palacio de Bellas Artes, Antiguo Colegio de San Idelfonso, Teotihuacan and the Colonia Roma, Xochimilco, the city of Puebla, and the new and old Basilicas of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe.